Trends in Office Design: The Open Office, 1923
Greg at Workalicious notes that back in the day they had "open office, team building, things have come so far, and yet not at all..!"
I think there are other features worth noting as well:
- the worker bees get the windows
- the ceiling is high to let light and air penetrate more deeply
- there is no suspended ceiling to capture dust, no hidden spaces
- there is no carpet to capture dust
- there are clerestory windows to allow second hand light into interior spaces
- they are packed in tight, using fewer resources per person.
Read more in TreeHugger on how old design ideas make sense again:
LEED Renovations: What's Old is New Again
Landmarks Not Landfill: Prism Glass