Face it: you love that chorus of "Oh that is so darling! Where did you get it?" But if you want to live the eco-chic lifestyle, consumerism is out. What to do? Start swapping instead of shopping with a new trend called Swishing. Swishing started in London. Now the push is on to bring Swishing to American shores.
The dictionary definition: To rustle, as silk.
Swishing has been redefined by London's Futerra Sustainability Communications.
Swishing: To rustle clothes from friends.The Swishing Organization points out: "According to the EPA Office of Solid Waste, Americans throw away more than 68 pounds of clothing and textiles per person per year, and clothing and other textiles represent about 4% of the municipal solid waste. " Of course, you already bring your hand-me-downs to the local clothing recycling bin so they can go to a good cause. But there are usually a few pieces that you would like to know have found a good home. These are perfect Swishing fodder. So how to get started?
Step 2: Price of Admission
Each person must bring at least one piece of fine quality clothing or accessories pulled from that guilty corner of the closet where the unwanted detritus of a consumer lifestyle resides.
Step 3: Have a ball.
Everyone should relax with a drink and a bite for at least an hour before the swishing opens. All the donated booty should be on display during this time...but watch rule #2!
Step 4: Explain the rules
There are only three rules to Swishing:
- everyone must bring at least one item of clothing but people can leave with as many items as they wish;
- No one can claim items as their own before the Swish opens;
- No scratching, spitting or biting!
Step 5: Start Swishing!
If you are not up to starting the trend yourself, you could join in on upcoming events that have been scheduled as official Swishing events:
- Swishing NYC: 10 Jul 2008 at 17:30 at Vitra, 9th Avenue, New York, NY. RSVP required to attend.
- Swap 'til you drop: 13 Jul 2008 at 12:00 at 93 Feet East, London, UK.
- Style Elite presents SWAP TILL YOU DROP: 13 Aug 2008 at 18:00 at the Sway Club, 61-65 Great Queen Street, London, UK.
So that's it! Now you're Swishing!
Via Stephanie Corrado, Futerra Sustainability Communications, Swishing