Photo: charlotte macey
Lavender sachets are so lovely; they smell sweet and look nice in your drawer. They are supposed to keep away the moths (although the jury is still out on that one) and help you sleep peacefully.
Here's a small gift for yourself or a friend that you can make without a sewing machine. Use whatever nice fabric you have and decorate it as simply or as lavishly as you wish.
It's easy and quick to do. You don't even need a sewing machine.
So courtesy of Daily Candy, here we go:
Handful of lavender
An old shirt or patch of fabric
Needle and thread
1 cute button
1 pretty ribbon
Piece of card approximately 15 cm by 10 cm
1. Pick a handful of lavender from the park or your garden, bunch it together and hang it upside down to dry in a cool, dark place for a week. Once it's dry, remove the buds with your hand.
2. Make a heart-shaped template approximately 9.5 cm wide and 13.5 cm high using a piece of folded card. Trace around the template onto two pieces of fabric, then cut with pinking shears. Sew button onto the middle of one.
3. Lay one heart piece on top of the other and loop ribbon in between to create a hook (any length you like), then pin it all together.
4. Sew around the heart, approximately 0.5 cm in from the edge, leaving a 4 cm gap on one of the long sides of the heart. Remove pins.
5. Fill with the dried lavender buds and sew the last few centimetres of your heart to seal it up.
6. Hang it inside your cupboard to keep away moths, or place it under your pillow for a peaceful night's sleep. Or better still, make a second one and give it to a friend.