TreeHugger's Emma gets a natural beauty makeover by Blades Natural Beauty. Photo: Jessa Blades
When organic beauty expert and natural makeup artist Jessa Blades of Blades Natural Beauty offered to show me some tips and tricks behind green beauty, I jumped at the chance to have my makeup done and learn a thing or two along the way.
Blades, who has been recognized by Glamour Magazine and has appeared on "The Today Show," shares 6 makeup beauty tips--from DIY-lip hues to makeup product care--to achieve a green-beauty glow.
1. Use Primer for a Finished Look
RMS "Un" Cover-Up; $36 at Spirit Beauty Lounge. Photo: RMS
Make the most of cosmetics by priming skin and lips before applying makeup. Common primers are made with synthetic- and silicone so Blades used Tata Harper's Hydrating Floral Essence on the face; Naturopathica Vitamin K Brightening Eye Serum and Jane Iredale cream eyeshadow for eyes; and RMS lip balm for lips.
2. Wet Eyeshadow for a More Natural LookInstead of using liquid eye liner on my eyes, Blades simply wet the eyeshadow brushes with water for a smoother application and a more natural finish. For eyes, Blades used Couleur Caramel and Kjaer Weis eye shadow and mascara by Jane Iredale.
3. Apply Eye-Makeup FirstEyeshadow and mascara often smudge. To avoid extra touch ups--and to save product--Blades suggests applying eye-makeup first, then applying foundation, concealer, and powder.
4. Take Care of Your Makeup Products and Tools
Blades suggests washing brushes by hand every 1-2 weeks; she uses Dr. Bronner's soap with water and recommends leaving the brush side hanging off the counter (pictured below) so the brushes don't attract bacteria.
5. Mix Your Own Lipstick Color
Instead of purchasing the season's most popular colors, try mixing your own lipstick. Blades mixed Revolution Organics "Truth" lip gloss and Universalist and Super Naturalist 3-in-1 lip shine sticks by Well People to achieve a warm berry hue.
Revolution Organics lip gloss. Photo via Today's Diva
She then applied it with a lipstick brush and topped it with a Primitive lip gloss.
6. Invest in Quality Makeup Brushes
Blades prefers animal hair brushes and advised that synthetic brushes don't always work the best. Quality brushes--as opposed to a disposable one--can last up to forty years, if cared for. Blades used Jane Iredale brushes.
Read more at Blades Natural Beauty and don't miss the video of Jessa Blades sharing green makeup tips on the Today show.
Have you tried any of the beauty tips above? Tell us how they worked for you in the comments.