Images via Fashion's Night Out
Fashion's Night Out is an evening dedicated to revitalizing the fashion industry: consumers are encouraged to come out and shop at the hundreds (if not thousands) of participating stores around the globe, this Friday, September 10. While the event welcomes consumerism, there are plenty of ways to take part without over-spending, or even shopping for that matter.
In New York, listen to free live music, mingle with a favorite fashion designer, and take part in a bevy of green fashion and beauty festivities happening in and around the city. Click through for 10 events worth checking out, including details on Edun's pop up shop, a chance to meet Josie Maran, and more.
Image via Ecouterre
- The Textile Arts Center and Ecouterre are celebrating slow fashion in Brooklyn (505 Carroll St.) with a "Hack Sustainable Fashion" workshop, an Ecouterre eco-fashion panel and Q&A; moderated by Jill Fehrenbacher, and shopping with local designers. More at Ecouterre.
- Bergdorf Goodman will be launching a line of exclusive New York-inspired products, including a pair of TOMS shoes that feature a NYC skyline, according to Fashionista.
- Edun is popping up at Scoop NYC (861 Washington St.) for an African-themed event, running from 6-11PM and featuring a live performance by South Africa's BLK JKS. Guests are encouraged to ride their bikes to take part in a cyclist-street style photo contest.
- Handbag company TEICH is welcoming jewelry line Studio DuArte to their East Village location (84 East 7th Street) with a wine and cheese reception, coinciding with Fashion's Night Out. Shop TEICH's fashionable bags, made with sustainable materials, including hemp, organic cotton, and deerskin leather (a hunting by-product), and browse other eco-friendly finds.
- At Barneys New York you'll have the chance to meet ethical fashion pioneer and fashion director Julie Gilhart; there will be fun and games, too, like musical chairs, drumming, ping-pong, and karaoke. More at Barneys New York.
- Organic apparel brand Loomstate will be at Saks Fifth Avenue (660 Madison Ave). More at Fashion's Night Out.
- Vegan fashionista Charlotte Ronson will host a party with Gossip Girl's Michelle Trachtenberg at JC Penny (33rd Street and 6th Avenue). Music will be provided by Charlotte's sister DJ Sam Ronson.
- At Sephora's fifth avenue boutique, Josie Maran, founder of her eponymous line of natural cosmetics, will be on hand for mini-makeovers and a meet-and-greet. More at Organic Beauty View.
- Reco Jeans is popping up at Legacy NYC, from 7-11PM, at 109 Thompson St.
- Eco-friendly jewlery designer Monique Pean will be on hand at Jeffrey New York (449 West 14th Street). More at Posh Glam.
TEICH + Ryann belt/wristlet in grey and white. Photo: Courtesy of TEICH.
VIDEO: Barneys SVP Julie Gilhart on Why Eco Fashion Needs a New Name
Humane Society President Wayne Parcelle, Designer Charlotte Ronson, and Ingrid Bergstrom-Kendrick at the Bowery Hotel. Credit: Emma Grady
VIDEO: Heart of Green Awards Honor Josie Maran, and More
For more event listings, visit Fashion's Night Out.
Did we miss any green-themed fashion or beauty events on Fashion's Night Out? Share the details with us in the comment section, below.