From amaryllis to yew, find out which common plants can hurt cats, dogs, rabbits, horses and even humans.
Most of us want our pets to be able to enjoy the freedom and healthy benefits of being outdoors – and most of us assume that it's safe. How dangerous could the garden be? Well aside from the obvious pitfalls like rodent poison and precarious towering structures and freshly-sharpened scythes and stuff, there is no shortage of garden plants that have a wicked side all their own.
Poisonous plants produce a variety of toxic substances – and while they work well to protect the plant, for your pet they can cause reactions ranging from mild nausea to death. Those innocent-seeming plants, you just can't trust them. (Disclaimer: That's my dry humor talking, please don't accuse me of hating plants. I love plants.)Anyway, plants are serious business and can make your pet quite sick. The plants listed below are common ones that you might want to keep tabs on if you have a pet (or child, in some cases) who may find their way to them. If you think that your animal may have ingested a poisonous substance, contact your local veterinarian or the ASPCA's 24-hour emergency poison hotline directly at 1-888-426-4435.