Boost your natural beauty routine with this powerhouse fruit that can simultaneously hydrate, condition, and soothe.
Who isn’t happy to find a forgotten avocado in the bottom of the fruit bowl? They’re so delicious that everyone loves them, from health-conscious adults to picky kids. Avocadoes are nutritional powerhouses, loaded with more potassium than a banana and all 18 of the most important protein-building amino acids, making them a great source of protein. But you don’t have to eat an avocado to benefit from its nutritional value. Avocadoes can do wonderful things for your skin and hair, too. Resist the urge for guacamole and try some of these green beauty tips.
1. Make a deeply moisturizing facial mask. Mash ¼ avocado with 1 tbsp honey. Add 1 tsp sugar for exfoliation, if desired. Spread over clean, dry skin and rub in a circular motion. Let sit for 15 minutes. Rinse off, first with warm water, then cold water.
2. Make a mask to help oily skin. Egg whites are able to remove excess oil, tighten pores, and lift up skin. Mash ¼ avocado with 1 egg white. Rub it into your face in a circular motion and leave for 15 minutes. Rinse off.
3. Condition your hair. With an electric beater, mix 1 egg yolk, 1 tsp olive oil, and 1 tsp honey. Add ½ avocado and beat until light and smooth. In the shower, apply to the ends of wet hair and work upward until it covers all your hair. Let soak for 10 minutes, then rinse, shampoo, and rinse again.
4. Mix up an intensive moisturizing mask for hair. Melt 2 tbsp coconut oil in the microwave. Stir in 2 tbsp olive oil. Mash in ½ avocado until smooth. Slather over hair. Cover with a plastic bag and leave for 30 minutes. Shampoo thoroughly and rinse.
5. Reduce puffiness beneath the eyes. Place a slice of avocado beneath each eye and let sit for 15 minutes.
6. Soften dry, rough hands. Mash ½ avocado with ¼ cup ground oatmeal, 1 egg white, and 1 tsp lemon juice. Smooth over your hands and let sit 15 minutes. Rinse off and enjoy smooth, hydrated skin.
7. Treat cracked skin on feet. Rub pure mashed avocado into cracked heels and rough patches. Let it soak in as long as possible. Rinse off.
8. Treat sunburn with slices of avocado. Place over the affected area and leave as long as possible to soothe the skin.