Business & Policy Corporate Responsibility Lundberg Family Farms Doubles On-Site Solar Production By Rachel Cernansky Updated October 11, 2018 Migrated Image Share Twitter Pinterest Email Business & Policy Corporate Responsibility Environmental Policy Economics Food Issues Image: Lundberg.com Lundberg Family Farms has installed 1,690 solar panels on top of its new 35,000-plus square-foot warehouse on its northern California farm. The installation is expected to produce 500,000 kilowatt-hours of electricity, which is more than enough to power the building itself. Together with the 584,000 kWh from already-existing solar panels, it will generate 20 percent of the electricity the company uses. (It purchases renewable energy credits to offset the remaining 80 percent.) The company, a member of the EPA's Green Power Network, made sure the warehouse itself was pretty green, too: it used (some) recycled materials, will capture and filter storm water runoff, and features water conservation fixtures like dual flush toilets and waterless urinals. It's also worth noting that Lundberg is also one of the more independent organic companies out there. One writer's experiment to live without Monsanto showed that even a lot of the organic seeds in this country are owned by Monsanto, but Lundberg is one of the brands the writer, after doing extensive research about the origins and ownership of seeds, recommends as a safe, Monsanto-free option.