If you were among the back-to-the-land types that rolled their eyes at the $1300 Williams-Sonoma chicken coop this past spring you may want to look away.
Dawn breaks. The hens descend from their bespoke Versailles-inspired Le Petit Trianon house to their playground below for a morning wing stretch. Slipping on your wellies, you start for the coop and are greeted by the pleasant clucking of your specially chosen flock and the site of the poshest hen house ever imagined. Your custom-made multilevel dwelling features a nesting area, a "living room" for nighttime roosting, a broody room, a library filled with chicken and gardening books for visitors of the human kind, and, of course, an elegant chandelier. The environment suits them well as you notice the fresh eggs awaiting morning collection. Nearby, you pick fresh vegetables or herbs from your custom-built raised gardens. You've always fancied yourself a farmer—now thanks to Heritage Hen Farm, you're doing it in the fanciest way possible!
What do you get for a $100K chicken coop?
1. The buyer will receive an initial farm consultation and grounds survey and two additional onsite visits from Heritage Hen Farm expert, Svetlana Simon.
2. Simon will select three to ten heritage-breed hens carefully selected to suit your region.
3. Installation includes two custom-designed and installed raised vegetable or herb garden beds.
4. Package includes a multilevel dwelling, nesting area, "living room," broody room, library with books, two Heritage Hen Farm pasture grazing trays, waterer, feeder, and chandelier. All other props and furnishings not included.
5. Please allow 6 weeks for delivery.
6. Delivery not included.
When you consider that you're not only getting a chicken coop with heritage hens, but two custom-designed raised beds to grow your own food, this fantasy gift sounds like a practical buy. Imagine how much your backyard eggs and vegetable garden will save you on groceries every month.
Still not convinced to pull out your American Express Centurion Card? For every Heritage Hen Mini Farm sold, Neiman Marcus will donate a whole $3,000 to The American Livestock Breeds Conservancy, a nonprofit dedicated to the conservation and promotion of endangered livestock breeds.
Basically, by not buying this chicken coop, that costs more than a lot of homes, you're saying you don't care about genetic diversity. It would be irresponsible not to buy the Heritage Hen Mini Farm this Christmas.