A petition calls on Whole Foods and Wal-Mart to start selling ugly produce instead of throwing it away -- an act that can benefit everyone.
It’s time to stand up for the uglies! Supermarkets have long discriminated against any fruits and vegetables that do not meet the absurdly high cosmetic standards for sale, with an estimated 26 percent of all produce in the United States tossed before it’s even given a chance on the shelves.
This makes no sense because ‘ugly’ produce is just as nutritious as attractive produce, and can even have more taste. In a world where there is so much concern about food shortages, greenhouse gas emissions from teeming landfills, water conservation, and dietary health, it’s only logical to embrace the uglies and welcome them into our food system.Jordan Figueredo of the End Food Waste campaign has launched a petition to get Wal-Mart and Whole Foods to change their outdated policies on ugly produce and save billions of pounds of perfectly good fruits and vegetables from unnecessary rejection. He wants them to launch fun publicity campaigns, similar to France’s very successful Inglorious Fruits and Vegetables, the United States’ Imperfect Produce, and Canada's Naturally Imperfect line.
By agreeing to do this, Whole Foods Market and Walmart will:
1. Be able to sell perfectly nutritious and delicious produce for a 30-50% discount off of "regular" produce.
2. Conserve water since 80% of fresh water goes to agriculture (USDA).
3. Help ease climate change as our food system is responsible for 33% of our human-made greenhouse gas emissions (GRACE Communications Foundation).
4. Help fight hunger and malnutrition where:
- 1 in 6 people in the U.S. are food insecure or do not know where their next meal is coming from (Feeding America).
- More than 4 in 5 people in the U.S. are not eating enough fruits and vegetables (CDC).
Add your voice to this important issue by signing the petition on Change.org today! See the EndFoodWaste website for further ways to promote the campaign on social media. Check out this funny slideshow of 10 ugly fruits and vegetables if you're needing inspiration.