Photo: Emma Alter
My husband was hosting a working dinner with 12 people. It's been very hot and humid here in the past week, so I wanted to serve a buffet where everything was room temperature. I made the vegan potato salad which has become a staple at dinner parties because everyone loves it. We also had a flank steak with pebre, but there were plenty of vegetarian and vegan options.I left the dessert to my daughter because she is so much better at it than I am. She knew she wanted to serve something with fresh fruit, but was having trouble coming up with something inspiring. Then we came across this ice cream cake with berries and we knew it was the perfect thing.
This takes a bit of time, but very little effort. the meringue bakes for an hour and the middle layer has to freeze for a number of hours, but putting it together is very simple. This was a wonderful dessert, with the crunch of the meringue on the bottom, the ice cream in the middle with just a touch of chocolate and the delicious fresh strawberries on top. It turned out to be the perfect dessert for a hot night.
This recipe is from the website Zested. I adapted it slightly because it was written in measurements of grams. It also called for caster sugar, but we used icing sugar instead.
Meringue Ice Cream Cake with Summer Berries
For the Meringue Base
4 egg whites
1 cup icing sugar
For the Ice Cream Topping
2 1/4 cups whipping cream
1 cup icing sugar
3/4 cup chocolate, chopped roughly
1. Preheat the oven to 300F. Line a round spring-sided cake tin (diameter 23cm/9″ x depth 8cm/3″) with parchment paper.
2. Whip the eggwhites in a bowl until stiff.
3. Slowly add the icing sugar and whisk until completely incorporated.
4. Pour into cake tin, place in a middle to low shelf of the oven and bake for about an hour or until the meringue is hard to the touch.
5. Remove from the oven and allow to cool in the cake tin.
6. Whisk the whipping cream until stiff, fold the icing sugar and chocolate pieces into the whipped cream and pour over cool meringue (still in cake tin). Place in freezer for at least 4 hours.