Call me weird, but I enjoy frozen desserts more in the winter than I do during the summer. And after developing this Watermelon and Tomato Gazpacho recipe, I was excited to mix up watermelon and cilantro again. Enjoy this sorbet with some champagne. 6 cups fresh watermelon
1/4 cup cilantro, finely chopped
1. Carefully cut your watermelon in half.
2. Cut the watermelon half into slices and then into 1/2 inch cubes.
3. Measure out six cups and purée it, and just nibble on the rest. It's going to be a while before the sorbet is ready anyway.
4. Put the purée through a sieve to remove the extra pulp. You, of course, do not have to do this. It just depends on the consistency you want for your sorbet.
5. Add the watermelon juice to a glass baking dish. You want the dish to be cold, really cold. I suggest you put it in the freezer the night before.
6. Add the chopped cilantro to the juice and place the dish in the freezer. To amp up the cilantro flavor, add it to the watermelon juice after filtering out the pulp. Then let the cilantro-watermelon mixture chill in the refrigerator for at least an hour.
7. Every 30 minutes, run a fork through the watermelon and cilantro mixture. This prevents the mixture from settling into one large block of ice.
8. Once all of the juice has frozen, let set for another 30 minutes and serve.
I guess this dessert is more accurately called a Granita.
A Granita is made just like a Sorbet but by hand. Sorbets and Granitas are dairy-free and egg-free frozen desserts made from juice or flavored water, and simple syrup. A Sorbet is slowly churned just like Ice Cream to create a snowy texture. Ice Cream has a custard-base, instead of a juice-base, and is made with milk, cream, sugar and (typically) egg yolks. Gelato has a similar base (though eggs are rare) but is churned a much slower speed at a warmer temperature.
Visit the Green Wine Guide for more vegetarian recipes and wine pairings.
Fan us on Facebook for daily recipes.
Similar Recipes from our Green Wine Guide
Raspberry and Serrano Sangría
Strawberry and Serrano Pepper Salsa
Grilled Avocado Guacamole
Top Recipes from our Green Wine Guide
Indian-Spiced Tomato Soup
Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup Sandwiches
Bruschetta with Mint and Goat Cheese