This recipe was created exclusively to pair with the 2010 Cashmere from Cline Cellars. Cashmere is a blend of Mourvèdre, Grenache, and Syrah. The wine is surprisingly smooth with notes of black cherry and hints of cracked black pepper and plum.
I chose this recipe because the bell pepper's sweet and herbal flavors are complimentary without competing with the wine's fruitier notes. I also chose it for its flexibility. Try using a banana pepper instead of a bell to highlight the the wine's spicier notes. How about some black currants? Just toss a handful of them into the filling before baking. The combinations are endless!
4 bell peppers (red, orange or yellow)
1 clove of garlic, minced
1 small red onion, chopped
1 pint of grape tomatoes, washed and dried
1 1/2 cup of wild brown rice, rinsed
1/4 cup pine nuts
1/2 cup shaved parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon each of dry basil, thyme, oregano and sage
1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin
1/4 cup dry white wine
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Cut peppers in half vertically and scoop out the seeds.
3. Boil the rice according to directions on the package.
4. In a large skillet, heat enough olive oil over a high heat to just coat the pan.
5. Add the tomatoes, stirring occasionally until charred like pictured above.
6. Add the white wine, garlic, rice, onion and herbs to the pan.
7. Cook on medium just enough to mix. Mix in pine nuts and let cool.
8. Coat a casserole dish with olive oil.
9. Place the pepper halves in dish and stuff with filling.
10. Top with cheese, cover with foil and bake for 30 minutes.
Skip the grape tomatoes and stuff a whole tomato instead!
For an even heartier dish, add a couple of your favorite garden burgers, chopped, to the stuffing.
Visit TreeHugger's Green Wine Guide for more green wineries, recipes and virtual tours.
More Recipes from the Green Wine Guide
Winter Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables and a Balsamic Reduction
Indian-Spiced Tomato Soup
Maple-Lemon Crème Brulée With Amaretti Cookie
Homemade Pizza with Caramelized Onions, Blue Cheese and Thyme
Chèvre-Stuffed Dates with Pomegranate Molasses and Chili Oil
Tempeh, Broccoli, and Red Bell Pepper Stir Fry
More from the Green Wine Guide
Kaz Vineyard & Winery: Serious Organic Wine for the Not-So-Serious
Medlock Ames: An Organic Vineyard with Mini Cows and a Century-Old Biker Bar
Jacuzzi Wines and Cline Cellars: "Beyond Organic" Winemaking