2 cups cake flour
1 3/4 cups sugar
3/4 cup cocoa
1 1/4 cups milk
3/4 cup of shortening
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Place liners in 2 dozen 3 inch muffin cups or if making cake, grease and flour two 9 inch round cake pans.
2. Into large bowl measure all ingredients except icing.
3. With mixer at low speed, beat until well mixed, constantly scraping bowl. at high speed, beat 5 minutes, scraping the bowl occasionally.
4 Spoon into muffin pan cups, filling each until half full or pour into cake pans. Bake 20 minutes for cupcakes or 30-35 minutes for cake or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean and dry.
5. Cool on wire racks for ten minutes. Remove from pans and cool completely on racks. Ice once they are completely cooled.
Maple Fudge Icing
1/2 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup milk
1 3/4 - 2 cups icing sugar
1. Melt butter. Add brown sugar. Boil over a low heat for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.
2 Add milk. Immediately remove from heat while stirring . Cool thoroughly.
3. Sift icing sugar and add gradually brown sugar mixture, beating after each addition.
4. If the icing is too thick, add a bit of milk. If it is too thin, add a bit more sifted icing sugar
Cake recipe from The Good Housekeeping Illustrated Cookbook
Icing recipe from Joyce Rossiter