More and more restaurants are adding vegetarian items to their menus these days. In Toronto, there also seems to be a steady growth of restaurants devoted entirely to vegetarian food. Ruth Tal owned juice bars called Juice for Life in three locations throughout the city. She has reconfigured these into restaurants serving vegetarian cuisine and renamed them Fresh. Tal has a new cookbook entitled reFresh: Contemporary Vegan Recipes from the Award Winning Fresh Restaurants.
This recipe is from a review of the book printed in the Star
. It was really easy to prepare and quite tasty. Add a green salad and and some crusty bread and you have a great light summer dinner in less than 45 minutes.Carrot and Coriander Soup
1 tbsp oil
2 onions, chopped
3 tbsp ground coriander
2 tbsp marjoram
6 cloves of garlic, minced
3 large carrots, chopped
1 sweet potato, chopped
8 cups vegetable stock
1/2 cup cilantro, roughly chopped
1/2 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1. Heat oil in pot and saute onions until soft, about 5 minutes
2. Add coriander, marjoram and garlic and stir for about a minute.
3. Add carrots. sweet potato and stock. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until carrots and potato are tender, about 30 minutes.
4. Add cilantro, salt and cayenne pepper.
5. Puree using an immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor.