Photos by Jaymi Heimbuch
The grilled cheese sandwich is perhaps my most favorite comfort food. Not only is it tasty, but the combinations of cheese alone are endless. Enjoy this sandwich with some friends and a nice, crisp Chablis. Grilled Cheese Sandwich
1 8 oz. Brie wheel
Apple and onion confit
Apple and Red Onion Confit
1 large red onion, thinly sliced
1 Granny Smith apple, thinly sliced
1/8 cup of honey
3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
Extra virgin olive oil
1. Add onions, apples and just enough olive oil to coat to a high-sided skillet. Cook on medium-high heat until they begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
2. Reduce heat and add the remaining ingredients. Slowly cook for about 40 minutes, until the mixture becomes jam-like.
3. Remove the crust from your bread slices and butter each one on one side only.
4. Cut the brie into thick slices. The soft cheese melts fairly easily, so the thicker the slice, the more substantial your sandwich will be.
5. Use the same skillet in which you made the confit. Grill one bread slice, butter-side down, along with some brie.
6. When the brie begins to melt a bit, add the confit and grill for a few minutes.
7. Add another slice of bread, butter-side up, and flip the sandwich. Cook until the brie just begins to melt into the pan.
8. Slice and enjoy!
Visit the Green Wine Guide for more vegetarian recipes and wine pairings.
Fan us on Facebook for daily recipes.
Similar Recipes from our Green Wine Guide
Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup Sandwiches
Baked Goat Cheese with Red Onion Confit
Bruschetta with Mint and Goat Cheese
Top Recipes from our Green Wine Guide
Watermelon and Cilantro Sorbet
Coffee and Cream Risotto
Vegetarian French Onion Soup (Made with Coffee)