Booze as Pesticide: The Latest in Organic Farming


We know that all organic wine isn't always all it's cracked up to be, though there are some good ones out there. For anyone whose organic wine experience has left them wanting, we're happy to bring you this interesting idea: if it's no good to drink, it can be an effective pesticide. Farmers in India say spraying liquor, instead of pesticides, is doubly beneficial: they do not get poisoned while spraying and the soil isn't contaminated. While skeptics wonder if the "organic treatment" of cocktails is good for the crop, local wine-shop owners are not complaining. "The sales of cheap liquor have more than doubled," on the heels of this new realization, according to the owner of a local liquor shop. The best part: booze costing 100 rupees a dose worked comparably to professional grade toxic chemicals that cost 3000-4000 rupees. What will they think of next? ::Hindustan Times via ::Hippyshopper