3form has announced Full Circle, a new collection of products in it's varia™ line distinguished for the way it connects ecologies and communities throughout the world. Said 3form CEO Talley Goodson, in a press release, "With Full Circle, we are creating relationships between designers and a diverse set of artisan communities around the world. We are also connecting our ecoresin™ varia™ products with the earth’s renewable resources. Full Circle is not just about wonderful options for the design world; it’s about a better quality of life for everyone." The collection includes five new products, all designed and sourced with a high degree of environmental and social consciousness; examples are pictured from left to right in the image above.
- Ithemba means "hope" in Xhosa-speaking Africa, where the wire mesh material is hand-woven by women whose lives have been affected by HIV and AIDS, with the goal of creating a market their talents and providing them with a sustainable way of life.
- Capiz are sustainably harvested shells, in partnership with a local co-op, sourced from the shallow waters of the Indonesian archipelago and benefitting victims of last years' tsunami.
- Palau was developed to be harvested with a sustainable process whereby palm husks which naturally fall to the ground are collected each day. The process ensures consistent color for 3form Palau panels and creates a new, legitimate enterprise for the community from previously wasted raw materials.
- Lasso is created from the fibers of the common sisal plant, though the unique pattern has been refined in a single village in Colombia for generations. Partnering with a local non-profit, 3form commissioned the art the locals named "Nemquetaba," after the god of weaving.
- Finally, River Rock comes from water-worn stones found in Indonesia. The stones are cemented together by translucent "ecoresin," and the ongoing process of collecting and shipping the stones creates local community-based jobs.
3form also offers strata™, a multi-layered designer series; struttura™, a prismatic structural system of paneling; as well as a modern furniture collection, previously mentioned here at TreeHugger. ::3form Full Circle