The three finalists' chairs are being unveiled today in Las Vegas; a finalist jury is picking the winner this week. A big component of the voting is the People's Choice vote here at TreeHugger; get more details below the fold. But vote!
The three basic principles of "One Good Chair:"
- Make good (Material conservation). How can shape optimize resources in design, fabrication, and shipping? What forms create little waste but lots of taste?
- Feel good (Physical comfort). How can shape aid the body in the act of sitting? How do different people sit? How might they?
- Look good (Emotional resonance). What kinds of images create emotional bond between viewer and product? What is the intersection of sustainability and sensuality?
1. Andrej Blazon, Charity Chair
"The CHARITY CHAIR is premised on the value of local production thus enabling people across the globe to produce it sustainably. It is inspired by the cornette worn by the Daughters of Charity order as sustainability as an idea is very present in cloisters dictating their clothing design." More....
2 Azul Candenas, BAMTAK Chair
"In Argentina, the countryside has its good share of beautiful houses called "estancias" where "asados" (the tradition of cooking meat grilled outdoors) take place with a "religious" frequency. After the meal, people spend long hours chatting around the table, and then move to outdoor areas to continue talking in more comfortable seats, such as chaise lounges.
Unfortunately not all of us live in "estancias" where spaces are big and can accommodate several indoors and outdoors living areas that serve different needs. For most of us who live in small urban spaces, our living room has to adapt to different occasions. That's why versatility is an important factor.
My idea with this chair is to translate a local custom into an urban model." more...
3. Helene Cany, Sediliegi² Chair
"The sediliegi² chair is a lounge chair for two person.
I chose a place, near to Turin in Italy, where we can see the Alps. Many lovers come to this square because it is really romantic and the view is beautiful.
This chair is made of molded cork.And the cork come from the italian cork tree. Its shape allows transport easily and to rest comfortably in the sun watching the Alps. The shape is inspired by the cars designed in Turin (Fiat 500 and Ferrari)." More...