We featured some edible decorations in 12 Easy DIY Halloween Decorations That Don't Pack a Landfill Punch, but we figured these creepiest of cookies deserve a page of their own. In one of the more ironic Halloween recipe ideas, the severed digits get a vegan makeover ... because who says vegans can't play cannibal once in while?
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (or a mix of all-purpose and white whole wheat flour)
- 1 cup fair-trade powdered sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground flax
- 1 ½ teaspoons water
- 1 cup vegan non-hydrogenated margarine (Earth Balance works perfectly), softened
- 1 tablespoon vanilla or almond extract
- 1 ½ cups whole almonds, blanched
- ¼ cup raspberry jam
1. Preheat oven to 350F degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment.2. Mix the ground flax with water and refrigerate until thick and goopy.3. Stir together flour, powdered sugar, baking powder, and flax in a medium bowl. In a mixer or with a spoon, mix flour mixture with the margarine and vanilla, until you have a nice cookie dough texture. Chill the dough for 10 minutes.4. Use 2 or 3 teaspoons to form slender fingers. Cookies will spread, so make them long and thin, like your pinky, to keep them witchy. Use a toothpick to score knuckle wrinkles. Put a bit of jam on the fingertips and press almond fingernails into place, and dip ends in jam for bloody severed effect.5. Chill the cookies for 15 minutes to ensure that they hold their shape when baking. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly browned.
Just because you don't eat meat doesn't mean you can't eat fingers.