Spring vegetables are just around the corner, but the farmer's market is still full of roots and tubers. Sweet potatoes are often made into dessert-like dishes, but they can also add a richness to savory recipes. This vegan sweet potato soup with a touch of garlic is hearty enough to be a main course.
1 tablespoon chopped garlic
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and chopped (about a pound)
3 cups vegetable broth
1 bay leaf
1/8 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon salt
Serves 4.Tip: If the vegetable broth you use already contains salt, you can skip it and to taste.
1. With the oil, sauté the garlic and onion in a dutch oven or soup pot.
2. Once the onions are looking clear, add the broth, sweet potatoes, bay leaf, cumin and salt. Bring to a boil, and then reduce heat. Cover and let the broth simmer for 45 minutes or until the potato is soft.
3. Let the soup cool for about 10 minutes and remove the bay leaf.
4. Blend the sweet potatoes into the broth, using either a submersion blender or conventional blender.
5. Give the soup a final warming and you're ready to serve! This soup goes great with our easy navy bean bread.
Adapted from a Taste of Home recipe.