I was inspired to make chickpea burgers by Kelly's recipe for Potato Chickpea Burgers that feature the flavors of curry. Because it's summer time and a favorite season to enjoy the spicy flavors of the southwest, I decided to go a different route and feature chipotle chilies in the chickpea burgers.
The burgers have a smokey flavor, and are dense and filling, making them perfect for a vegetarian burger fix.
These patties are vegan save for the breadcrumbs I used. If you want to keep it vegan, you can try a vegan breadcrumb option, or skipping the bread crumbs and using quinoa flakes or corn meal instead. You can also try leaving out the bread crumbs our entirely and adding a little extra oil to the pan to keep the patties from sticking as they cook. These are a bit on the delicate side so I wouldn't toss them on the BBQ grill unless you use a mesh rack.I served these on hamburger buns topped with sprouts, lettuce, roasted red pepper, and chipotle mayonaise. Add some chips and one of these homemade salsas or guacamole and you're set!
Chipotle chickpea burgers
1 can chickpeas (1 15-oz can)
2 new potatoes, cooked and cut into quarters
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1 large tomato, coarsely chopped
1 small jalepeño, minced (optional)
2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
1 tsp salt
Freshly ground pepper
1/3 c bread crumbs (or quinoa flakes or corn meal)
1. In a small skillet, heat a little olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and sauté until translucent and just starting to brown. Add the minced jalapeño and saute for 2-3 minutes, until just softened. Add the tomatoes and cook until softened. Remove from heat.
2. Combine the chickpeas, chipotle chiles and quartered potatoes in a food processor or a large bowl with a wand blender. Pulse until smooth. Add the onion and tomato mixture and spices, and stir with a spoon or fork until thoroughly combined.
3. On a large plate, sprinkle bread crumbs (or quinoa flakes or corn meal). Place the patty in the bread crumbs and turn to coat the outside of the patty.
4. In a large skillet, heat a little olive oil over medium heat. Add the patties and cook until golden, about 3-5 minutes. Flip and cook the other side until golden.
5. Serve on a bun with lettuce, tomato, and all the other fixings you love best on a burger. Enjoy!