Seriously, choosing between pancakes or French toast for breakfast just seems unfair. I always want both! For those of you who understand my frustration, we now have a solution thanks to Stacy Potten. This french toast, dipped in pancake batter, is a fun and exciting twist to the traditional favorite. Enjoy this recipe with real maple syrup and a pomegranate mimosa.
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 tablespoon of orange zest (optional)
- 1/4 teaspoon of ground ginger (optional)
- Pinch of salt
- Large loaf of bread
2. In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs and then slowly whisk in one cup of flour.
3. Thin the mixture using the one cup of milk. If you use a bit less, your French toast will be on the puffier side--fun!
4. Mix in the brown sugar and the vanilla. While the orange zest and ginger are optional, I highly recommend adding them. These ingredients keep this somewhat rich recipe on the lighter side. If you mix in the orange and ginger, let the mixture stand for about 30 minutes to absorb the flavors.
5. Mix in the baking powder.
6. Heat the griddle over a medium heat.
7. Dip one slice of bread into the mix at a time until it is soaked in pancake batter.
8. Plop the pancake-dipped slice onto the griddle and cook until it is golden brown on both sides. The bread is ready to flip when the edges look dry and the batter begins to bubble, just like regular pancakes.
Visit the Green Wine Guide for more vegetarian recipes and wine pairings.
Fan us on Facebook for daily recipes.
Similar Recipes from our Green Wine Guide
Simple Strawberry and Basil Bruschetta
Chèvre-Stuffed Dates with Pomegranate
Baked Goat Cheese with Red Onion Confit
Top Recipes from our Green Wine Guide
Grilled Avocado Guacamole
Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup Sandwiches
Bruschetta with Mint and Goat Cheese