As I mentioned in this recipe for beer-poached pears, I was recently a judge at the Good Food Awards for the beer category. Oh, and it was as awesome as it sounds! Since then, I have been using a few of this year's winners for recipes, like the Orange and Black Congrat's Ale. Well, you can't keep a good beer down, so here is one more. These are the perfect pancakes to accompany your next mimosa.
1 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 small orange, zested
1/8 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 egg, separated
1 cup of Moylan's Orange & Black Congrats Ale
2 tablespoons butter, melted
2. In a separate mixing bowl beat the egg yolk then whisk in the beer, vanilla and butter. You want the butter to be melted but not hot, or it could cook the egg.
3. Add the orange zest to the egg yolk mixture and let stand for about 10 minutes.
4. Beat the egg white until stiff.
5. Add the egg yolk mixture to the dry ingredients and mix. A few lumps are okay. Then fold in the beaten egg white, just enough to mix.
6. Heat the skillet over a medium heat and coat with butter or cooking spray. For each pancake, pour about 1/4 cup of batter onto the hot surface. When bubbles appear at the top, flip, and cook the other side.
These pancakes are very flavorful that topping them with butter or maple syrup is almost a crime. Give them a try without first, just for me. Enjoy!
Visit the Green Wine Guide for more vegetarian recipes and wine pairings.
Fan us on Facebook for daily recipes.