I recently spent a week surrounded by good friends in the sleepy little town of Cayucos, California, what is quite possibly California's last little surfer hangout. During our stay, we polished off some of Paso Robles' best sustainable wines: Halter Ranch, Peachy Canyon, etc. It got me thinking, after a night of great food, wonderful friends and amazing wine...what do you pair that with? Well, this hot chocolate of course. It is the perfect nightcap to almost any evening.
- 3 cups of whole milk (non-fat would work, so would rice milk)
- 3 tablespoons of dried lavender
- 1 91% dark chocolate bar by Theo
- Sugar to taste
2. Measure out three tablespoons of lavender.
3. Add the lavender to the warm milk. Mix the lavender into the warm milk so that it is fully coated and cook for about 15 minutes, until the room becomes aromatic. Then spoon out the lavender pieces.
I chose to Theo's chocolate for this recipe because they make good chocolate. That is, the company received a Good Food Award for their scrumptious bars. And once you have one, you will know why!
4. Add the chocolate bar to the lavender-milk and slowly stir until they combine. Add sugar to the mixture, to taste.
Divide the lavender hot chocolate amongst you and your friends and enjoy!
Visit the Green Wine Guide for more vegetarian recipes and wine pairings.
Fan us on Facebook for daily recipes.