This recipe was created by Sabrina Modelle of The Tomato Tart exclusively to pair with a 2009 Jacuzzi Family Vineyards Sangiovese. This medium bodied red is warm and round with red fruits on the nose, and a balanced acidity. It pairs perfectly with this spicy baked egg dish. Savor the last of the season’s tomatoes and some sweet pepper.
- 4 farm fresh eggs
- 2 small tomatoes
- 1 sweet pepper
- 1 clove garlic
- 4 teaspoons cream
- 4 leaves of basil, finely cut (chiffonade)
- fresh grated parmesan (plus more after cooking, shaved)
- dried red pepper (optional)
- butter, to grease ramekins
- salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and grease four ramekins.
2. Slice the tomatoes, garlic and sweet pepper.
3. Layer a slice of tomato, chopped peppers, garlic on the bottom of each ramekin top with one teaspoon of cream.
4. Crack on egg atop each and top with basil, grated parmesan, salt, pepper, and dried red pepper.
5. Bake for 13-15 minutes until whites of eggs are completely set.
Visit the Green Wine Guide for more vegetarian recipes and wine pairings.
Fan us on Facebook for daily recipes.
Browse all of our tomato content for mouth-watering tomato recipes, savvy tomato growing tips, and up-to-the minute tomato breakthroughs.