This recipe was created exclusively to pair with a bottle of 2009 Frögenbeerenauslese from Frog's Leap winery. Don't worry, it's is a lot easier to drink than it is to say. On the nose you will find both hints of honey and pomme fruit. But for a dessert wine, it isn't heavy or even the least bit syrupy, just slightly floral.
This wine will compliment almost any baked good and is accessible enough for your favorite cheeses. But with every sip I took, it whispered back to me apples. Homemade apple pie. Caramel-dipped apples. Spice cake with an apple chutney. It was undeniable. I created this baked apple recipe for ease in preparation but mostly for the aroma. There's a reason real estate agents use the scent of apple pie to sell homes! It's so comforting and warm. And this simple, yet flavorful, recipe is bound to become a family favorite.
4 large apples (Rome or Braeburn)
1/3 cup candied ginger, chopped
3/4 cup almonds, toasted and chopped
1/4 cup (packed) brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons honey
1 1/2 teaspoons lemon zest
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground clove
Water, for the baking dish
2. Combine brown sugar, vanilla and honey and mix well.
3. Mix in the ginger, almonds, cinnamon, clove and lemon zest. Let stand.
4. Core each apple; be careful to remove all of the stem and seeds.
5. If need be, trim the apple bottoms so that they sit steadily.
6. Place the apples upright in a baking dish.
7. Spoon the filling into hollow of each apple .
8. Fill the baking dish with enough water to form a 1/2-inch pool around the apples.
9. Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until the apples are tender.
10. Transfer the apples to a serving plate.
11. Pour the reaming liquid from the baking dish into a small saucepan.
12. Cook over a medium-high heat until it becomes syrupy, about 15 minutes.
13. Drizzle the syrup over the top of each apple.
14. Enjoy!Jaymi Heimbuch
Visit TreeHugger's Green Wine Guide for more green wineries, recipes and virtual tours.
More Recipes from the Green Wine Guide
Winter Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables and a Balsamic Reduction
Risotto with a Portabella Duxelle
Indian-Spiced Tomato Soup
Maple-Lemon Crème Brulée With Amaretti Cookie
Seared Brussels Sprouts with a Smoked Gouda Sauce and Freshly Grated Horseradish
Homemade Pizza with Caramelized Onions, Blue Cheese and Thyme
Chèvre-Stuffed Dates with Pomegranate Molasses and Chili Oil
Tempeh, Broccoli, and Red Bell Pepper Stir Fry
Chiogga Beets with Vanilla Bean Vinaigrette and Toasted Hazelnuts
More from the Green Wine Guide
Kaz Vineyard & Winery: Serious Organic Wine for the Not-So-Serious
Medlock Ames: An Organic Vineyard with Mini Cows and a Century-Old Biker Bar
Jacuzzi Wines and Cline Cellars: "Beyond Organic" Winemaking