When it comes to transportation, TreeHugger thinks human power is the way to go, but there are times when two wheels just won't cut it. Have a look at some of the best human-powered bicycle alternatives from our past.
1) Why pedal when you paddle? Check out these kayaks that are "the strongest, most rigid and most durable in the world."
2) Rain, snow, sleet and wind can all conspire to keep us off our human-powered machines and stuck inside, except when you can climb into the protective shell of a velomobile and pedal to someplace warm and dry.
3) When it comes to arm-powered transportation, nothing beats the Champiot quad cycle, which has been known to rev up the sex drive of its riders.
4) Most of these will get your pulse pumping, so when not in the mood for a workout, take a spin in the luxurious couchbike. Just what it sounds like...couch+bike=couchbike.
5) All of these terrestrial and aquatic means of travel are fine, but why by bound by gravity when you can hover in this pedal-powered hovercraft! There's no better way to keep your feet (almost) on the ground and keep reaching for the stars.