TreeHugger has been covering a bevy of ways to reduce energy use lately, from the Power2Save and PowerCost home energy monitors to five ways to cut back on phantom loads and vampire power, but sometimes prevention is better than treatment. Here are some quick picks for keeping more energy from leaking from your home with green insulation.
1) Recycled paper insulation is made from 100% waste recycled newsprint and has been successfully installed in more than 1 million homes in the UK alone!
2) HempFlax insulation uses mostly hemp fiber, with a little added polyester fibre for reinforcing. Soda acts as the fire retardant, and, as the hemp is naturally resistant to moths and beetles, extra chemical application is avoided.
3) Concrete Blond's customized insulation panels create a false wall, behind which an insulating material can be placed; it's a great product for older homes with solid walls which would be difficult to insulate otherwise.
4) Recycled denim insulation is 100% recyclable, VOC-free, and formaldehyde-free.
5) Lloyd just added three new entrants in one entry to the archives, with recycled materials, LEED credits and positive air-quality features abounding.