Click on image to view the video.
A Lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans food project could promise real change to a struggling community. Our School at Blair Grocery is a Food Security Academy in New Orleans' Lower Ninth Ward. According to Kickstarter, the school is working to provide a safe space where kids can come to learn, work, and cultivate sustainable foods in a part of the country that's been hit hard by poverty, natural disasters, and a lack of basic resources.Kickstarter is listing a seriously worthwhile project and you can help fund it. The school is working to raise $10,000 by August 2 to support their small but productive 1 acre farm in New Orleans' Lower Ninth Ward.
Currently Our School at Blair Grocery is working with over 30 at risk kids to teach them the importance of sustainable farming and more importantly, how to farm.
Here's what the money will go toward, according to Kickstarter:
- 100 yards of organic soil to supplement our compost
- Seeds for sprouts, row crops, and heirloom vegetables
- Hoophouses (inexpensive, quick-to-build greenhouses)
- New bee hives and a new queen bee
- 10 new worm bins for vermicompost
- Shovels, hoes, and rakes for students
- Irrigation necessities: water meter, hoses, and sprinklers
Help support the project by August 2.
Like this? Follow my Twitter feed.
More on the Lower Ninth Ward
Built on Stilts: Images from the New Ninth Ward in New Orleans
Brad Pitt's Make It Right Foundation Unveils Floating House
Tom Darden on Making It Right in New Orleans