We want a healthy planet and healthy people, so we're passing on this request by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
They wrote us: "We are currently building out the communications team at the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation in Seattle, Washington. Attached is the job description for a newly created position: Deputy Director, Content and Distribution." See below for more. We think you can apply even if you use Linux or OS X... Here is the position description (it says how to apply at the end):
Deputy Director, Content and Distribution — Foundation Communications
The Gates Foundation's Communications Team plays a leading role advancing the Foundation's goals of reducing inequities in global health, U.S. public education, and public access to information, as well as the emerging goal of addressing conditions of extreme poverty in the developing world.
The Foundation Communications team is responsible for planning and managing the use of the foundation's "voice" in support of key issues, for extending and protecting its reputation and for managing key events. It does so by leading and coordinating foundation communications efforts; managing relationships with the philanthropic sector and other key foundation partners, the media, Foundation staff, the Foundation community, and other external and internal stakeholders, as well as with the general public, on a global basis.
The Deputy Director for Content and Distribution is based in the foundation's Seattle headquarters and will be responsible for the overall development and management for the look, feel and voice of the foundation.
The Deputy Director, Content & Distribution will manage and direct the foundation's overall content for messaging and story telling across all forms of media and the various media distribution vehicles including the external website, editorial and visual communications and content for the Visitor Learning Center. Specific responsibilities include:
Participates as part of the Communications Leadership team and contributes thought-leadership to the evolving communication strategy.
Partners with key internal communications stakeholders and program teams to build a comprehensive strategic framework for the acquisition and distribution of content crossing multiple platforms:
* Management of the editorial services, VLC content, on-line communications, creative services, visual communications and archive functions.
* Development and execution of a content development and acquisition strategy, including a grant making strategy
* Partner closely with the Program Teams to collect, distribute and unify the work we do; help to tell compelling stories in a holistic way; ensure the strategy is tied to the foundation's program strategies in an effort to create increased community engagement for our work.
* Establish strategic and innovative uses of technology and multimedia to better integrate informational content to grantees and partners, while creating a storing telling engine via the website.
* Works to define specific outcomes and impact measurement of the strategy.
* Working with the Web Product Manager, be a sponsor and champion for the development of the website strategy and redesign, including a plan for push communications (e-newsletters, content syndication, rss, podcasting, etc.) and extending our reach to further our community engagement.
* Support the development of content programming for the Visitor Learning Center to be located on the new Campus in Seattle Center. Interface with foundation leadership to understand program priorities and goals and oversee the strategy to illuminate the issues the Gates Foundation addresses, while motivating people to act.
Ensures the effective running of the content and distribution team through operational excellence:
* Create the right technical environment to support the distribution network.
* Manages and creates efficiencies in work-flow through streamlined processes, systems and tools.
* Builds and manages budget
* Negotiates and manages contracts of independent contractors, vendors and agency staff; selects key partners and drives the request for proposals.
Manage and mentor a high performing, established team of communication specialists:
* Provide on-going leadership and oversight in talent assessment, employee development and performance management of visual and on-line communications staff, to include editors, designers, etc.
* Creation and deployment of proactive strategies to ensure team engagement and satisfaction during times of on-going change.
* Effective communication of the foundation's and communication's mission while ensuring the team's work is aligned within the spirit of the look, feel and voice of the foundation
* Senior, seasoned communications professional with 10-15 years of increasing responsibility in media or content organization with a minimum of 7 years managing creative teams and external resources.
* Management of multi/media (either print, broadcast or interactive, preferably many) content operation experience.
* Understands the power of stories and brand, and has prior experience developing the look and feel of an organization and uses it across multiple platforms; deep interactive content management and distribution expertise.
* Demonstrated excellent leadership, analytical, interpersonal, and written and oral communication skills, in positions requiring communication with a broad and diverse audience.
* Demonstrated effectiveness and interest in leading and coordinating colleagues from across a variety of disciplines in a complex, matrix organization.
* Enthusiasm for, and commitment to, the foundation's mission, issues and ideas.
* Must be creative, innovative and solution oriented.
* A nuanced sophistication for technology and has worked on technology distribution infrastructure and solutions in the past.
* Ability to work with flexibility, efficiency and diplomacy both individually and as part of a complex team effort.
* Must reside in, or be willing to relocate to, Seattle.
Reports to: Director, Foundation Communications
To apply for this position, please visit www.gatesfoundation.org/AboutUs/Jobs and submit your resume online.
We are an equal opportunity employer dedicated and focused on diversity.