The Green Your School Challenge is taking entries until April 1, but 188 schools have already submitted plans, and 1,200 have signed up as mobile subscribers, and the pool of ideas is already filled with great potential—but they can always use more. Below are some of the great ideas the entrants have come up with so far.The winners of the online challenge will receive HP mini laptops, and the mobile winners will get Verizon Palm Pre phones.
Some of the highlights from various schools that have entered the online category:
- Encouraging the school to use Google Docs to hand in assignments in order to save paper and increase student collaboration. Also: patrolling the carpool line to prevent idling, hosting a CFL Fundraiser, and promoting the use of reusable water bottles.
- Holding series of road clean-ups, starting a plastic bottle and e-waste collection drive, hosting a "Lights Out Day," and selling Earth Day t-shirts to help fundraise for a school garden or for solar panels. The green team would also create informational videos on how to go green an send out a daily text message challenge to their fellow students!
- Working with the school's art club to create a button design contest that encourages green efforts at school, and to hold a "Green Tray Day" where students will be encouraged to bring their own lunches and dining utensils.
And in the mobile category:
- Adding a new food disposal process: compost in one bin and trash in another.
- Starting a campus wide effort to recycle used cellphones, ink and toner cartridges.
- Posting Youtube videos encouraging people to use greener products and have greener habits.
- Collecting old shirts and sewing them into reusable bags after school two days a week for a month.
Get your entry in soon to participate in the challenge!
More on DoSomething
Enter Do Something's Increase Your Green Competition
Students Engage in a Mind-Numbing Array of Activities to Green Their School, Win Cash in the Process!
Akon, Peter Buffett, and You: What's the Connection?