Eco-Design Continues Unabated: Ergo, Mocean UK
When I first started talking with Graham in mid 2004 about his embryonic TreeHugger web concept, I expressed some reservation about how long we could keep the project going. I figured that, at our then rate of 6 posts a day, we'd run out of eco design products in abut 4 months. Boy, was I wrong. And deliriously happy to have been so.
Here we are five years on, and just yesterday alone we published a ginormous 43 posts. Admittedly not all eco-design related. But still. The growth in products that consider their environmental and social impact has simply gone ballistic in the past few years. New eco start-ups continue to appear at a phenomenal rate of knots. And here is yet one more.
A British based surf company, Mocean, making surfboard bags from hemp and recycled polyethylene, as well as leashes from recycled polyurethane. They want to make surfing travel bags "lighter more protective, and less demanding on the environment." Mocean are also working on a limited line of apparel from organic cotton, hemp and bamboo blends, as well as "developing the world's first eco friendly tail pad."
As yet their product doesn't seem widely available but we understand a launch date is imminent and you can sign up on their website to be advised of take off.
::Mocean UK, via tipster, Robert W.
• 42 Surfboards. They're Wooden, As Are Many Others
• Paulownia: Treehugging for Grommets and Waxheads
• Get Wood: Grain Surfboards Say Its Good
• The Surfers Path Goes Digital
• The EcoSurfStore Opens for Business
• Surfs up in Montreal
• The Quiksilver Initiative
• Surfrider and Summit Foundations
• Surfer Magazine Uses Post-Consumer Recycled Paper
• Are European Surfers Greener than Australians