1) a 90% decrease in greenhouse emissions by 2030.
2) Give everyone a personal carbon ration. If you run out, buy it from someone else.
3) Every new house should be built to the German PassiveHaus standard: no heating system.
4) ban incandescent lights, patio heaters and garden floodlights.
5) redeploy the nuclear missile budget to wind turbines.
6) stop all road building and widening programs; invest in coaches and trains.
7) make every gas station have battery charging stations for overnight wind-powered charging
8) Freeze and then reduce airport capacity.
9) ban and close out-of-town superstores.
Oh, and all of this between 4 and 10 years from now. It sounds extreme, but if past is prelude, look forward to this kind of discussion in America in six months. ::the Guardian