Wanted: Green Electronics Blogger to Write for TreeHugger ($1000 Referral Reward!)
Image via Sparking Tech
We're looking for a full-time blogger who can cover the latest, hippest, greenest gadgets and electronics. We are looking for someone who has in-depth knowledge and passion about this topic, can identify and explore current and emerging trends, understands how tech relates to the average consumer, their household and the economy, and can communicate it all clearly to our diverse audience. We're talking about someone who can reach deep into the corners of the Internet and return the with hip prototypes, low-energy computers, upgrading advice, manufacturer responsibility ideas, e-waste reduction concepts, thoughts on grid optimization, and useful websites and apps, etc. Does this like sound like you or someone you know? Then, keep reading, because we also offer a $1,000 referral reward if you connect us with a successful long-term hire. The ideal candidate for this position will:
BE OBSESSED. They will be knowledgeable and passionate. If you're not obsessed with green, you're probably not right for this gig.
BE A SOLID WRITER. They will have excellent blogging skills. We're looking for writers who know how to write and report and who understand our voice, tone, and style. The candidate should also be able to produce content quickly on a daily basis (write 8-10 posts per weekday), and understand how to find leads, look for interesting angles, and have a sensitive BS detector.
KNOW THE WEBS. They will have basic Web and computer skills. Ideally, this candidate will have experience using Web publishing tools, will understand how to use images for blogging (for example, knowing how to select good images and edit and compress images), and will have basic HTML skills and some understanding of SEO principals.
LOVE TECH. They will have previous knowledge and a great passion for the topics of green electronics, software, websites. We're looking for someone who loves green tech and how it can be greener itself as well as assist in the greening of the world.
BE EVEN-KEELED. They will be open-minded, appreciate that life has many grey areas, not get phased by insults from commenters and will appreciate the scientific method and basic statistics.
IDEALLY, BE IN THE BAY AREA. We'd love someone from the San Francisco area but are very open to other locations. This is a telecommuting position.
The TreeHugger/Planet Green team is a global collection of more than 60 passionate people from varied backgrounds and nationalities who are united by the desire to help push sustainability further into the mainstream. We reach millions of people who tune in to hear what we have to say. Want to become part of that voice?
Here's precisely what we'd like you to do:
1) Introduce yourself: Give us a short paragraph that includes your name, location, and a brief overview of who you are.
2) Tell us why you're a good candidate. Do you have past experience? Do you work in the field? Do you subscribe to 150 relevant RSS feeds and follow websites about it each day?
3) Tell us about your computer-skillz: Have you ever blogged? Do you know basic HTML? Do you know how to edit pictures?
4) Include three writing samples: Introduce each with the headline and a one- or two-line intro. Links to your work are preferable to attachments, if possible.
5) Send us three ideas about things you'd like to write about: Include a one- or two-sentence pitch for each idea. Address what the story would be about, why it's a good fit for TH, and include a link to more information.
6) Send your email with the following subject line: "TH Writer Hunt: Electronics" to writer.hunt (at) treehugger (dot) com.
We look forward to hearing from you!
We're giving a $1,000 referral reward to anyone who sends our way a good writer that we take on board and keep for a minimum of 6 months. If you know someone who would be a great TreeHugger writer, please let him or her know about this position!