StreetFilms Explores Design for London's Vision for Livable Streets
StreetFilms does it again! No sooner had we announced that they, along with their partner projects StreetsBlog and the Livable Streets Initiative, were winners of the Best Transportation Advocacy category in our Best of Green Awards that they post this awesome video about the Design for London project - an initiative that was founded to support the delivery of well-designed projects, from parks to street planning to individual buildings, across London. It is, as we've come to expect from these guys, a great insight into just how much the little things matter in creating pleasant, open spaces in which people take precedence over motor cars. Click below the fold ti find out what makes Design for London tick, as well as a whole host of other great StreetFilms about planning, transportation and beautiful, livable streets. The list of projects that Design for London has been invoved in is way too many to list here - from area redesigns to infrastructure development to the 100 Public Spaces program - a full list of Design for London projects can be found on their site. In the meantime, here's an idea of their core values:
Design for London promotes:
• Good design and the importance of involving architects and urban designers throughout the development process.
• High standards of environmental performance and sustainability in all of its work.
• Legible, accessible and democratic streets and spaces where the citizen has unrestricted public access.
• The very best designers in their fields as well as opportunities for young and new designers to build their reputation.
• Innovation, research and debate around best practice, particularly in sustainable design, high density and affordable housing and the design of public spaces and streets.
• Broader spatial thinking and the master-planning of areas to guide investment and development decisions and to capture the longer term benefits for communities throughout London.
• Wide participation in design debates.
• Research into new and innovative ways to fund the enhancement of public spaces in London.
Good stuff. And as always we are so grateful to StreetFilms for bringing projects like this to a wider global audience.
More StreetFilms Sustainable Transportation and Planning Videos
Free Bike Cages Offer Safe Parking for Commuters
Bike Co-ops Thrive in LA
Boulder, Colorado Achieves Platinum Bike Status
Wikis Take Manhattan
StreetFilm’s Visits Boulder’s Contraflow Bike-Lane
Free Bikes for Governors Island
StreetFilms Covers Best of Bike to Work Day
Bike Advocate Keeps Memory of Her Husband Alive
Clarence the Cycling Sasquatch
Bogota Shows How to Reinvent Cities
StreetFilms Looks at Bus Rapid Transit in LA
Melbourne: A Pedestrian’s Paradise
Istanbul Learns from Bogota
Clarence: The Purple Traffic-Calming Wizard
Physically Separated Bike Lanes
NYC’s First Documented Bike Move?
StreetFilms Grades New Yorkers’ Bike Locking Abilities
Lady Liberty Dumps the Car and Marries Mass Transit
StreetFilms Animation Explores Diverters as Traffic Calming Measure