The top ten stories of 2013
You never know what makes a post go viral and take over the internet; the top ten posts listed here range all over the map but when it comes right down to it, the message in the title seems to make the most difference.
10: Yoink! Sea lion steals fish right out of posing fisherman's handsYoutube/Screen capture Yoink? I had to look it up. The urban dictionary defines it asa "An exclamation that, when uttered in conjunction with taking an object, immediately transfers ownership from the original owner to the person using the word regardless of previous property rights." And that is exactly what happens here, with fish and sea lions instead of the Simpsons.
9: This short-film on Amsterdam will BLOW YOUR MIND© SF One commenter noted that "what actually "blows my european mind" is how in north american cities everything seems to have been built only for (and around) cars and how it looks completely normal for most of the people."
8. Giant solar plane could stay airborne for 5 years, replace some satellites© Titan I have been on flights that felt like they lasted five years, but never thought that one could actually build a plane that could stay up that long. Now that's mind-blowing.
7. Extinct tree grows anew from ancient jar of seeds unearthed by archaeologistsWikipedia/CC BY 2.0
So they dig up some 2,000 year old seeds in Herod's palace, leave them sitting around a lab for another 40, then someone decides to plant them and they actually grow.
6. Nature Blows My Mind! Octopus Houdini escapes boat via tiny holeYoutube/Screen capture
Because octopuses are awesome and very smart, too. Mike gets spiritual and quotes the Koran, " this is more like fitting a camel through the eye of a needle."
5. Dogs are going extinct: 8 most endangered canid species© Rebecca Jackrel
Editor Jaymi loves her dogs and has an eye for a good photograph, so it is no wonder this was such a successful slideshow. Great pix.
4. Watch a City-Sized Glacier Collapse (Video)Youtube/Screen capture Because it's like a disaster movie or a train wreck, you can't take your eyes off it.
3. Florida's manatees loved to death in this timelapse videoCristina Mittermeier Photography/Video screen capture
Poor things. Jaymi writes: "Manatee are those teddy bears of the sea. Rotund, gentle sea-cows that everyone loves to be around -- an unfortunate thing, for the manatees."
2. Build a $300 underground greenhouse for year-round gardening (Video)© Neo-farms
It's a walipini, or place of warmth; a few of our regular readers have built them and swear by them. Cheap and effective and who knew, that so many of our readers were interested in building one?
1. 20 Awesome Projects for Raspberry Pi MicrocomputersGijsbertPeijs/CC BY 2.0
We know that our readers love DIY projects, and the Raspberry Pi is an amazing thing, a little $35 computer designed to teach kids that has been an unbelievable success. Megan rounds up twenty awesome things that you can do with it.