Design Students Create a Brighter Future: SRD Change 2010 Exhibition
(All images: SRD Change 2010)
For the past seven years now the SRD (Society for Responsible Design) have held their Change design exhibition showing the latest graduate student thinking around environmentally and socially responsible design solutions. And this year it's on again. Right now.
So, if you want to know where the fresh green thinking is imagining our world should be headed in the spheres of Architecture, Interiors, Industrial Design, Landscape, Fashion and Visual Communications, check it out, in the few day left until 15 August 2010.
You can do this in person by skooting along to the PYDBuilding (197 Young St, Waterloo, 2017) if you're in Sydney, Australia. But, if that's not just around the corner from you, and we guess for many it won't be, don't fret, you can catch many of the student's work at an online exhibition gallery to found at: SRD Change 2010.
What might you expect to find there? Well, let's see:
• The Fire Cube, a bushfire safety shelter that provides an alternative to drastic measures such as concrete bunkers.
• Slow Fashion, an antidote to mass production, mass consumption and mass disposal.
• The HALO LED surgical light offering a 30% reduction in energy consumption.
• The Love Bottle, made from compostable PLA (polylactide)
• Urban Agritecture; the design synergy between agriculture and domestic living , helping city dwellers cultivate their own food.
• Bench Marks, the seating constructed from crushed building waste.
• The Ribbon, possibly the next generation of ceiling fan, with a helical loop.
And that's but the tip of an iceberg. Because not only are there many other exciting student works within the SRD Change 2010 exhibition, but SRD Change is running concurrently with the much broader Sydney Design program, administered by the widely respected Powerhouse Museum.
As SRD Change 2010 powers through its second and final week it is putting a Free Graduate Project Workshop, whereby students from any institute of tertiary education in their final year to workshop their graduate project with a panel of academics and professionals with a background in sustainability. This will take place on 14 August 2010 at the ArtStore Meeting room, corner of Greens Rd + Oxford St Paddington, College of Fine Arts (COFA), Paddington Campus, Sydney. Booking details from Live Futures.
For all the good oil on how the up-and-coming designers of tomorrow want to create a better world cruise over to SRD Change 2010.
More SRD Change
• ChangeX 07 Student Green Design Exhibition at GREX
• Green Student Design Challenges Status Quo at SRD Change 08 Exhibition
• SRD Change09: Students Seek to Inspire, Provoke and Change Design