$5 DIY Gas Mask for Surviving Occupy Wall Street
As Lloyd Alter confirms, the Occupy movement is very much an environmental movement: off-the-grid camps are set up across the country, surprisingly with 21st-century tech. And since things have been known to get a little out of hand from time to time, this DIY gas mask by Gregg Horton is the perfect accessory for the revolution. It's cheap, easy and kinda cool.
Reduce, reuse and remember, the fifth of November!
- 2 liter soda bottle
- n95 rated face mask (Tear gas is a dust, not a gas so this will be perfect)
- Duct tape
1. Using a sharpie, mark your 2 liter soda bottle for fitting your face.
2. Using a knife, cut the bottle along those lines.
3. For this to work, you need to have a seal between your face and the bottle, and not the cute baby kind. Use duct tape to wrap the edges of the bottle adding extra layers as needed. You can check the seal by placing the mask against your face.
4. Remove the yellow straps from the facemask but save them for later. You will want your gas mask to be hands-free.
5. Shove the mask into the bottom of your bottle.
6. Now staple the yellow strap to your mask and you are ready to go!
Now, it is not entirely clear how well Gregg tested this mask. Or if at all. So I suggest you use it with caution. Heck, the way things are going, I suggest you #occupy with caution.