Edible Skincare: Fresh Tomato Skin Cleanser
Photo credit: manjithkaini
Tis the season of the tomato: Plump, juicy sacs, in a myriad of ripening red and orange hues, are melting off their vines ready to be crunched, savored, and simmered. But you can also share summer's rich bounty with your skin, as well as your bellies. Packed with complexion-nourishing antioxidants (such as Lycopene), potassium, magnesium, and Vitamins A and C, the luscious fruit also contains natural acids that slough off dead cells, shrink pores, and tone skin.
Here's a recipe for a homemade tomato skin cleanser, excerpted from Anti-Wrinkle Treatments for Perfect Skin, by Pierre Jean Cousin (2001, Storey Books), that is especially effective on oily skin. Just be sure to test the inside of your arm with a dab of the mixture first to make sure you don't have an allergic reaction.Ingredients
- 1 medium very ripe tomato
- Plain yogurt (the lactic acid and probiotics in the yogurt add gentle cleansing and nourishing benefits)
1. Process the tomato in a food processor or blender. Strain it through some cheesecloth or a clean piece of muslin into a bowl and discard the pulp. Add an equal amount of yogurt to the juice and store in a covered container or bottle in the refrigerator.
2. Apply to the face and neck, using cotton pads or a soft cloth, once or twice a day. Leave on for 10 minutes, then rinse with water and pat dry.
This formula will keep for 2 days or so in the fridge.
Smash one good-sized cherry tomato with the back of a spoon or wring it in a clean cloth to extract the juice. Mix juice with an equal amount of yogurt and use immediately. This is good for one treatment.
1. Burt's Bees Garden Tomato Toner and Garden Tomato Complexion Soap
2. DermaNatural Tomato Lycopene Masque
3. Eminence Tomato Lycopene Mask
4. Flower Child Organics Tomato Basil Kitchen Soap
5. L'Occitane Olive & Tomato Summer Recovery Kit