This sauce is smoky, spicy, sweet, and dark ... like adding a little noir to the feast. Serve with pumpkin tamales, and employ it year-round for all your mole needs.
Cherry Mole Sauce
- 4 dried ancho chiles, stemmed, seeded
- 4 cups warm water
- 1/2 cup light oil
- 1/2 cup roasted pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 1/2 cup dried cherries
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 4 whole canned plum tomatoes, drained
- 2 3/4 cups (or more) water
- 1 1/2 ounces dark chocolate, chopped
1. Submerge the chiles in warm water and soak until soft, about two hours - set 1 cup soaking water aside and roughly chop chiles.
2. Heat oil in heavy skillet over medium-low heat. Add pumpkin seeds, almonds, dried cherries, and sesame seeds and sauté until toasted, about 12 minutes.
3. Place mixture in food processor with chile, reserved chile liquid, and plum tomatoes. Puree until almost smooth.
4. Return mixture to skillet and add 2 3/4 cups water. Bring to a boil while whisking. Turn heat down add chocolate and stir until melted.
5. Simmer until sauce darkens, about 15 minutes. You can add water 1/4 cup at a time if sauce gets too thick.
6. Salt to taste.