Technically this is more avocadocream than buttercream, but that doesn't sound quite right, so forgive me. What is right is how awesome it is that you can replace the predominate ingredient in buttercream (butter) with avocado, which has a quarter of the calories and total fat, and a mere speck of saturated fat. That said, not many people are probably going to be tricked into thinking this is actually made with butter, but it is delicious and surprising and...green!
Most recipes for this frosting call for lemon juice, but mixing that up with lime, orange, or tangerine is a little more exciting. Kumquat juice used in the cupcakes pictured above turned out zippy. Yum. Garnishing the finished product with zest is great for texture and helps to cut through any remaining subtle sweet nuttiness of the avocado.
Vanilla Citrus Butter-avocado-cream
- 2 ripe, medium avocados
- 2 teaspoons fresh citrus juice
- 1/2 pound powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Citrus zest for garnish
1. Peel and pit the avocado and put it in a stand mixer with the citrus juice, beat for about approximately 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Add the powdered sugar in stages and beat until smooth, then add the vanilla extract. Frost away.