Port-a-Bach Shipping Container Holiday Home
A bach "is the name given in New Zealand to structures akin to small, often very modest holiday homes or beach houses.They are an iconic part of New Zealand history and culture." Wp
Cecile Bonnifait and William Giesen of atelier workshop have built a bach out of a box, a 20' shipping container.This isn't easy to do; they are narrow inside. They pulled it off by having one side of the container fold down to open it up to the outdoors; suddenly it is bright and open. (much like the All-terrain Cabin) Every inch of it is used cleverly, even the container doors become support for a bed.
A H O L I D A Y H O M E
- high-level finish,
- designed to be environmentally clean
- comparatively inexpensive,
- comfortably sleeps two adults and two children.
T H A T A L L O W S :
- immediate, flexible and long-term solution that enables you
to use your land without investing in a permanent property
- for future development, ideal for leased land situations.
- to be power, water and sewer independent, it is well suited
to remote or non-service supplied land
- also be connected to available services.
- quick and easy transportation (via truck or helicopter) and
installation to any orientation with minimal impact on site,
- unfolding to create a living space and refolding to create
a secure unit for in situ storage or relocation.
F E A T U R E S
- fully enclosed exterior steel shell (when folded up).
- appointed with large internal storage cupboards and
shelves / stainless steel kitchen and fittings / bathroom
with open shower, sink, composting toilet.
- interior fabric screen system gives the versatility of
creating rooms within the large open living space :
includes bunk beds, double bed room,
dressing room, kitchen and bathroom
- exterior canvas screen system allows to shelter the
deck area for comfortable indoor/outdoor flow and living.
- 6 concrete footings form a stable, non-invasive
'foundation', allowing you to situate the unit on a wide
range of ground conditions.
Given that it folds up neatly into a standard container, this is one New Zealand prefab that could actually be shipped worldwide.