10 CrossFit Workouts to try at home over the holidays -- no equipment needed!
For those of you who dislike that general feeling of flabbiness and laziness that comes after a week of holiday decadence – eating rich meals, drinking booze, and sitting around the house with relatives – here’s a good solution. There’s a CrossFit site called “The Travelling WOD” that has compiled a long list of "Workouts Of the Day" (WODs) that are well adapted for doing at home. Below are 10 of my favourites that I'll be sweating to in my parents' basement next week.
The beauty of CrossFit is that it doesn’t require much equipment, at least not like a traditional-style gym with its plethora of huge machines. All of the WODs described below can be done with no equipment whatsoever, and all you need is some space, such as a basement or garage, or head outside. Pick something fun, convince some family members to join you, and get it done as fast as possible. If you're less active, be sure to adjust or scale the WODs as needed, as the ones below are designed for people who are currently in shape.
If you’re new to CrossFit, "rounds for time" means you time yourself from beginning to end, completing all the rounds as quickly as possible. The idea is to beat your old time the next time you do it.
1. 3 rounds for time: Run 800 meters + 50 air squats
(Measure out 800 m ahead of time if you’re running down a street, or use a treadmill)
2. 10 rounds for time: 10 pushups + 10 sit-ups +10 air squats
3. For time: 200 air squats
4. 21-15-9 air squats + pushups (Do 21 reps of each air squats and pushups, then 15 of each, then 9.)
5. 8 rounds for time: 10 situps + 10 burpees
6. 10 rounds for time: 10 pushups, 10 squats, 10 tuck jumps
(Lift knees as high as possible when you jump, ‘tucking’ into your chest)
7. 3 rounds: 50 sit-ups + 400 m run
8. For time: 100 jumping jacks + 75 air squats + 50 pushups + 25 burpees
9. 5 rounds for time: ten vertical jumps (jump as high as you can) + 10 pushups
10. For time: Run 1 mile, stopping to do 10 pushups for every minute that elapses during the run
Now go enjoy a guilt-free Christmas dinner!