18 uses for apple cider vinegar that will surprise you
Apple cider vinegar is an amazingly versatile ingredient. From cleaning and disinfecting to cooking and beautifying, it seems there are few household problems that apple cider vinegar can’t help solve. Ever since I discovered its countless uses, the big jug that used to sit mostly abandoned in my pantry now sees daily action, its usefulness extended beyond the occasional salad dressing. Check out the following list and, soon, you too will find yourself incorporating apple cider vinegar (ACV) into your life!
1. Apple cider vinegar is a great natural (and cheap!) toner for your skin, since it neutralizes pH and leaves your skin feeling smooth and soft. If the smell is too strong, dilute 50/50 with water and wipe over your face.
2. Use ACV to condition your hair. This is necessary after a baking soda wash (see this post for more on that) to neutralize the overly basic soda, but it can add extra conditioning even after using regular shampoo. It will also make your hair shiny.
3. Add a cup of ACV to the bathtub for a relaxing soak. It can calm itchy skin and relieve sunburn.
4. Apple cider vinegar can be a natural soothing aftershave. Dilute 50/50 with water, shake well, and apply to face.
5. Aid digestion, gas, and bloating by drinking 1 tbsp ACV mixed into a cup of water before meals. ACV contains pectin, which calms intestinal spasms, and it can fight bacteria that cause diarrhea.
6. Get rid of toe fungus and warts by applying undiluted apple cider vinegar. For warts, you can tape on an ACV-soaked cotton ball and leave overnight for as long as it takes.
7. Stop hiccups with a spoonful of pure ACV. The idea is it over-stimulates the nerves in the throat that are responsible for spasms.
8. Cure your sore throat by gargling with a 50/50 mix of water and ACV. It will kill off germs that can’t survive in an acidic environment.
9. Clear your nasal passages by adding 1 tsp ACV to a glass of water. The acetic acid kills off bacteria, and the potassium in ACV thins the mucus.
10. Eliminate dandruff by spraying a 50/50 mix of water and ACV onto your scalp. Let it soak for 15 minutes, then rinse out. The smell will disappear once your hair dries.
11. ACV can reduce swelling when massaged into swollen parts of the body.
12. Boost your energy by adding a tablespoon of ACV to a glass of water. It contains potassium and enzymes that can help prevent a sense of exhaustion.
13. Get rid of bad breath by gargling with water and ACV for 10 minutes.
14. Use ACV to make a homemade facial mask. Mix with bentonite clay and honey, apply to skin, and leave for 15 minutes before rinsing off.
15. Treat liver spots on your skin with undiluted ACV. Dab it on, leave overnight, then rinse off.
16. ACV is a natural deodorant. Apply to your armpits and it will neutralize odours.
17. Use ACV to clean your house. Mix with water in a spray bottle and wipe off with a clean cloth.
18. Treat acne by applying a 1:4 ratio of ACV and water to the face. Severe acne can be treated with undiluted ACV.
What additional uses do you have for apple cider vinegar?