Weekday Vegetarian: Braised Kale and Eggs on Toast
Photo: Kelly Rossiter
I've got a garden full of kale, and I'm running out of time to use it all up. Kale is quite happy to be hit with a bit of frost, and many people say it actually makes it sweeter, but even this hearty vegetable can only take so much cold. So it looks like kale will be on the menu quite a bit over the next couple of weeks.
My husband loved this very simple dish, which you could make for any meal of the day. I made a small change to the recipe to save myself some clean up time, and to use less oil. The recipe calls for frying the eggs in a separate pan, but I added it to the broth that the kale was cooking in and poached it. Fried and poached eggs aren't my thing, so I just had the kale and broth on top of the toast and I thoroughly enjoyed it. The original recipe also called for proscuitto, which I omitted to keep it vegetarian.
This recipe is from Recipes from the Root Cellar: 270 Fresh Ways to Enjoy Winter Vegetables by Andrea Chesman, via The Toronto Star. October 27, 2010.
Braised Kale and Eggs on Toast
5 tbsp extra virgin olive oli
1 onion, diced
1 bunch kale, stems discarded, leaves thinly sliced
3 large cloves garlic (2 minced, 1 halved)
1/8 tsp chili flakes
3 cups vegetable stock
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
8 small or 4 large slices rustic bread, toasted
8 large eggs
1. Heat 3 tbsp oil in large pan on medium. Add onion and cook until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
2. Add kale, minced garlic and chili flakes. Cook, stirring occasionally, until kale is wilted, about 5 minutes. Add stock, bring to a simmer. Cover and cook until kale is tender, about 20 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Rub toast with halved garlic clove. Divide among 4 wide soup bowls.
4. Heat remaining 2 tbsp oil in large, non-stick pan. Gently add eggs, cover and cook 3 to 4 minutes until whites are opaque but yolks are still soft. (Cook eggs in batches, if necessary). Or poach eggs in broth for about 3 or 4 minutes.
5. Ladle kale with a bit of broth onto toasts in each bowl. Top with 2 eggs each.