Olive Oil Cake with Currants and Sea Salt
This recipe was created just for munching on with a glass of Kaz Huzzah. A tart and slightly smokey red made from 100% Carignane grapes
A mid-afternoon snack in France is called a goûter. When I was a kid, I loved the sweet almond and lemon cakes my grandmother would make for our afternoon sojourn in her front sitting room. These days, I prefer a more savory snack in the afternoon, but why not a savory cake?1 cup goat's milk (I used raw and organic)
2 egg yolks
1/3 cup olive oil
8 oz sheep's milk ricotta
1 cup unbleached organic flour (4 ounces)
1 cup stone ground or whole wheat flour (4.5 ounces)
¾ cup kalamata olives roughly chopped
¾ zante currants
2 tablespoons raw sugar
½ teaspoon finely ground sea salt
2 teaspoons fresh cracked black pepper
zest of two lemons (I used meyer lemons)
more sugar + sea salt for the top of the cake
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. Cover currants in warm water and allow to plump up for about 10 minutes. Drain.
3. Whisk together goats milk, egg yolks, and olive oil until just combined. Whisk in ricotta.
4. In a separate bowl mix flours, sugar, salt and pepper. Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients, then fold in the currants, olives, and lemon zest being careful not to overmix.
5. Pour batter into a greased loaf pan and bake until fully set 30-40 minutes.
6. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon raw sugar and a few grains of fleur du sel or other good quality sea salt and put under the broiler for just a couple of minutes. Watch carefully so it does not burn.
7. Serve with a bit of honey drizzled on top for a nice balance of salty and sweet.
Visit TreeHugger's Green Wine Guide for more green wineries, recipes and virtual tours.
More Recipes from The Tomato Tart
Brown Sugar Lemon Rosemary Cake with Rosemary Caramel
Vegan Butternut Squash & Mushroom Tart
Arugula Salad With Strawberries & Goat Feta
More Recipes from the Green Wine Guide
Winter Salad with Roasted Root Vegetables and a Balsamic Reduction
Indian-Spiced Tomato Soup
Maple-Lemon Crème Brulée With Amaretti Cookie
Homemade Pizza with Caramelized Onions, Blue Cheese and Thyme
Chèvre-Stuffed Dates with Pomegranate Molasses and Chili Oil
Tempeh, Broccoli, and Red Bell Pepper Stir Fry
More from the Green Wine Guide
Kaz Vineyard & Winery: Serious Organic Wine for the Not-So-Serious
Medlock Ames: An Organic Vineyard with Mini Cows and a Century-Old Biker Bar
Jacuzzi Wines and Cline Cellars: "Beyond Organic" Winemaking