Wattvision Looking for Support on Kickstarter for Improved Smart Energy Sensor
A few years ago, we wrote about the original Wattvision energy sensor, a tool to help people monitor their energy use in real-time and thus - it is hoped - reduce their consumption. The creators of the Wattvision have started work on version 2.0, but to get it done they need some help, so they've put their plea on Kickstarter. They have a goal of raising $50,000, and with 27 days to go, they've amassed $23,615 in pledges from 183 individuals.
What are the plans for Wattvision 2?
The Project: Wattvision 2
We have great feedback from our amazing early adopters across the country, and we’re ready to act on this feedback and expand Wattvision to more users. That’s where you come in, Kickstarter.
We’ve started work on Wattvision 2: a complete remake of our hardware from the ground up, that features broader compatibility, more networking options, higher reliability and even easier setup. But we can’t make this happen without your support.
With a successful kickstarter campaign, we’ll be able to:
- Complete development of Wattvision 2
- Make a large production run to get Wattvision 2 in your hands
- Expand our reach to more types of power meters
- Support Ethernet and more types of wireless networks (specifically g and n)
- Durable, heavy-duty sensors designed for outdoor use
- Set and forget (no batteries involved)
- Compatible with analog and digital power meters
- Accurate to within 2 watts
- Data updated ~ every 10 seconds
- Quick and easy to set up
- Manufactured in the USA
- iPhone and Android support
- E-mail and text message alerts and recommendations
- Data download into Excel or any other software
- Developer API for custom and 3rd party applications
- Shared community energy graphs
- Top Energy Savers Rankings
Ideally, all power utilities would offer real-time data information on power usage to all their customers, but since that's taking a while to happen and some utilities will no doubt drag their feet for years, there's definitely a need for something like the Wattvision kit.