Strawberries Stuffed with Lavender-Honey Cream Cheese
A good friend of mine who is a writer for The Chronicle here in San Francisco tends to the rooftop beehives at the paper's downtown location. I've had the pleasure of visiting the hives a few times and when she gave me some of the honey, I was dying to do a recipe. It took me quite a while to get around to it, I admit. Mostly because I wasn't really finding a fit for the honey's unique flavor...but I finally did!
This recipe is divine. The lavender and honey brighten the strawberry's more tart notes and just makes a lush, simple and scrumptious dessert. And I tested it with other honeys too and it works just as well.
- 1 carton of organic strawberries
- 1 small package of cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon of dried culinary lavender
- 2 tablespoons of honey
1. Let the cream cheese soften by placing it at room temperature for a few hours.
2. Grind one tablespoon of dried lavender and stir it into the softened cream cheese.
3. Mix in two tablespoons of honey to the cream cheese mixture.
4. Add the cream cheese mixture to a pastry bag.
5. Cut the tops off the strawberries so that they sit flat and upright.
6. Crown the strawberries or just slice them, whatever you prefer.
7. Stuff the strawberries with the cream cheese mixture and serve!