Simple Slow Roasted Tomato Sauce
Marinara sauce, it can make or break any Italian dish. Don't worry, this recipe is sure to be a family favorite. The tomatoes come out tasting sun-dried and is it so simple to make. You really cannot mess this one up. Enjoy it or over some fresh Linguine with a full-bodied Merlot.
- 5 pounds of over-ripe Roma tomatoes
- Olive oil
- 10 cloves of garlic
- Fresh thyme
- Fresh basil
- Sea salt
1. Stem and quarter the Roma tomatoes. Place them on a prepared baking sheet such that they are not touching. You will need about 2 baking sheets for this recipe.
2. Lightly coat them with olive oil, sea salt and the fresh thyme.
3. Slow roast the tomatoes at your oven's lowest temperature for at least 12 hours. Mine is 175 degrees. I usually do this overnight. You will wake up with your house smelling like your favorite Italian restaurant. Even your neighbors will be jealous.
4. Puree the roasted tomatoes in batches with the fresh basil and garlic. In a large pot, bring the sauce to a boil to meld the flavors and serve.
I used this sauce with an eggplant manicotti dish I did. I will have the recipe for that tomorrow.
Visit the Green Wine Guide for more vegetarian recipes and wine pairings.
Fan us on Facebook for daily recipes.
Similar Recipes from our Green Wine Guide
Baked Spaghetti with Homemade Ricotta
Grilled Cheese & Tomato Soup Sandwiches
Indian-Spiced Tomato Soup
Top Recipes from our Green Wine Guide
Pan-Seared Oatmeal with Blueberries
Pan-Seared Peaches with Pistachio-Crusted Feta
Vegetarian French Onion Soup (Made with Coffee)
Browse all of our tomato content for mouth-watering tomato recipes, savvy tomato growing tips, and up-to-the minute tomato breakthroughs.